Sunday, August 3, 2014

not quite universal


Awareness seems to come to me slowly sometimes, or in big batches demanding attention. Over the past week it has been about kindness. It has come to me in daily inspiration passages, in overhearing kind or unkind remarks, thinking about my own opportunities for kindness that have been missed, or those that have manifested. I looked through my journals for other times this was in my thoughts and found several quotes. I had not remembered even writing some of them down. So, awareness does come slowly.A brief internet search brings up thousands of quotes, poems and prayers. Obviously not just my concern, but one that is nearly universal!

Quotes on kindness:

Wherever there is a a human in need, there is an opportunity for kindness and to make a difference.
            Kevin Heath

Practice kindness all day to everybody
and you will realize you’re already
in heaven now.
            Jack Kerouac

The best part of life is not just surviving,
but thriving with passion and compassion
and humor and style and generosity
and kindness
          May Angelou

What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?
            Jean Jacques Rousseau

Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.
          Scott Adams  

Be Kind to Humankind Week (August 25-31) was created in 1988 by Lorraine Jara, after she heard a report of passersby ignoring a drowning man in distress. She was inspired to foster greater kindness in the world.

5 comments:

  1. those are a great group on a great subject.. well worth chewing on ..thanks for reminding us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. I think this needs to be kindness awareness month for me.

      Delete
  2. Kindness - it seems as though it should be an easy pursuit, but I think one must be mindful in order to bestow it (and receive it). Sometimes, I'm not expecting kindness, and when it's given, the gift of it takes my breath away. I've been thinking of kindness, too, Duff. PS What are those creatures? You knew I'd ask, right? Were you at the zoo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree about being mindful about kindness. Especially for me in receiving it. I have failed to recognize or acknowledge kindness so often. Makes me wonder why it is so hard. Your point about mindfulness is right to the issue.

      About the photo, I failed to note that the little cuddling creatures are Meerkats at the SF Zoo. They bond so closely as a family and larger community that their lives are all about taking care of one another...at least according to a very bright child (a stranger to me) who was observing them with me and wanted to pass along his knowledge. Here is a great article about them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerkat

      Delete
    2. Duff, two of my grandchildren also have extensive knowledge of Meerkats. I thought maybe they were pictured.

      Delete