Sunday, June 9, 2013

simply stunned







Today, I had the first gloriously ripe organic peach of the summer season. That moment of perfection that leaves you simply stunned. As you can see, I have two more stunning moments ahead.

But, the bowl of pits. Now, that is an example of an idea that has become obsession. In 2007, I was so happy to have the wonderful stone fruits and began to realize that each seed was slightly different. Thought it might make a photo shoot or some sort of an art project. Well, I put the 2007 pits into this bowl from Macao and that started it. The “heart” of every stone fruit that I have eaten since has gone into this bowl. What to do with them? When to stop? I can imagine someone sorting through my belongings when I have gone off to that orchard in the sky and saying….”what was he thinking?”

7 comments:

  1. oh I envy you that just right peach moment I wish you many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there will be more...looking at the bowl of pits that is my past!

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely thinking hard about this, Duff. I do love the composition of this photo. AND, I also just bought my first organic (shipped) peaches - juicy and wonderful. That said, I can't get past the idea that on your death bed, you'll have to whisper to someone - "get rid of the pits!" I have somewhat the same dilemma with my old journals - I really need to shred them, but all that writing keeps me from doing the task, even though I really don't want any one reading them. I've told my friend to come in and get them when I die and get rid of them. Oh, heck - now that I've written this, I think I'll go shred them! Thanks, Duff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My morning laugh! "get rid of the pits"...I have decided not to destroy all my stuff. Nothing libelous or hurtful for the living, I hope, and I will be beyond embarrassment. So, just leave it all behind to go into the trash, be sorted out for some other purpose or possibly be of value to someone. I had the responsibility of dealing wih a huge load of history after a friend who had been in the theater died. The Performing Arts Museum and Library were thrilled to get it. So, your writing history and mine might be of use somewhere. Thanks for the laugh.

      Delete
    2. Duff, I still have the journals - glad you're keeping the pits.

      Delete
  3. A very colorful and textural photographic compositition Duff. I love it!

    Life isn't a bowl of cherries, or always so peachy; sometmes it's just the pits ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The symphony of colors in this is just so... comforting - the plate, the glass balls, the peaches, the pits, even the runner - all so soothing in their harmony.

    ReplyDelete