Sunday, October 27, 2013

prevailing westerlies


What is the nature of personal space? How people share a sidewalk in my neighborhood, stand in a line at the ATM, or fill a movie theater one by one or two by two: it seems to me that there is no way of predicting how people will relate to one another. Some folks come near, others seek a wider path.

Yesterday, I was walking in Sonoma and saw this wonderfully barren hill, with two oaks bending toward the east because of the prevailing westerlies. They were nearly touching on an isolated hill. How do oaks determine their space?


Do we make space, or come close, due to some prevailing force? Or, maybe it is simply learned. I grew up in a family where touch was limited, each had our own inviolate personal space in the house and alone time was considered precious. I’m not sure I would be very comfortable with the oak on the left in this picture. I will think about that today as I walk down my street, bundled up against the wind from the west.

4 comments:

  1. I love how your observation of nature taking its course inspired a much deeper personal observation/introspection and, as a happy result, I learned something (a number of things, actually) from you here, in this space. This is a powerful medium. And you've come to utilize it in a wonderfully effective way. I'm grateful to be taking part in your (and by happy bi-product, my) learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. I am finding that this little blog has become a place for me to think through in prose and a photo some of the things I try to do in my poetry. I am somewhat surprised that it has taken almost two years for me to take it seriously as part of my creative process, It started out as simply observation for the mindful writing challenge/small stones. Now, it has become a serious place for me to talk (mostly to myself) about issues and observations that have some challenge. It is a powerful medium and I think I dismissed much of that power. I have seen it in others, too.

      Delete
    2. My birth family was very reserved. When I went to my husband's house when we were teens, I was uncomfortable among his loud, jostling family members. I'm sure they found me strangely quiet and much too introspective. I like the photo and the thoughts you've brought into my mind, Duff. I think I still need more personal space than many people. Bundle up against that wind. It's snowing here in the mountains.

      Delete
    3. Oh, how I loved the snow in the Colorado Rockies in my youth....I associate that with being young and so much in the natural world. I no longer apologize for my needed space. It is simply part of who I am. Glad my photo and thoughts brought pleasant things to mind.

      Delete