Sunday, November 3, 2013

a good life



Over the past few days, my nephew (a writer) and I had an email exchange about the books in our lives....far too many in my house....he has a 'to read' stack two-feet high in his. But, all in all, its a good life when we have books. 

I do love this photo of two dear little friends some years ago sitting on my lap, 'reading' with me. They are now nearly teens and both read voraciously and write! The book is Too Big, one of the delightful children's books in my collection...and a gift to me from a special friend. 

“How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. “There is no shortage of good days. It is good lives that are hard to come by. A life of good days lived in the senses is not enough.........who would call a day spent reading a good day? But a life spent reading — that is a good life".
                                                  Annie Dillard, The Writing Life

I do have to disagree with Annie on "a day spent reading"....I have had so many that were wonderful...maybe indulgent, but definitely "good".


7 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! Hopefully, our love of books will filter down to Luke.
    Love this pic of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim. I know that Luke is growing up in reading family. I would bet he has a life long love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading literally saved my life as a child. I escaped into books or perhaps I allowed them to lead and teach me. I trusted them as friends. This week, I cleaned out my bookshelves and took 7 boxes to the library. I said goodbye to some old friends. I hope someone else will love them as I do/did. I read electronically now. I've decide it's the words that count, not the paper. I've spent a lifetime reading, and it's been good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a similar life-long relationship with books. I look at my too full bookshelves and think it is time to separate some of them, just can't quite do it yet. I am more and more using electronic media...no longer take the daily newspaper, for example. I wonder if I will eventually come to using books in the cloud? One of my friends has started something amazing, The Internet Archive. They are putting every possible book that is not still under copyright out there for anyone to read...for free! So, I may have to say goodbye to some old friends, too. Not all of them, just the mass that I don't really "speak to" anymore.

      Delete
  4. PS I like the photo, Duff. Creating wonder in a child through story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a book lover. To the core! I have way too many! Old ones are my faves, acquired at many a used book sale. They tell stories of their own that are not written on the pages by the author. I especially love it when there is a handwritten message inside an old book as a way of gifting it to a lucky individual. Or perhaps to take ownership. Yes, books are friends. Still not a fan of the digital versions...but it's all good!!! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree...it is all good. I found a receipt in a book yesterday....I had paid $2 for a book in 1987 and it is still with me! I seem to read a lot of periodical stuff digitally, but I still always have that stack of books bedside. I cannot imagine reading in bed from my iPad!

      Delete