Wednesday, December 4, 2013

live the questions


American Thanksgiving. Most countries do not have a secular tradition of giving thanks for the bounteous gifts of the earth and community. As the day and weekend progressed, I began to question my own sense of gratitude. So much is taken for granted in my life. I never have a concern for clean water. The air in my city is almost always pristine. My food choices are phenomenal, safe and nearly always available ─ for a price. Frankly, most often my friends and I have the wherewithal to buy nourishing food. I live in a safe neighborhood, have dear friends and family, have never been displaced by war. And yet, I am not grateful every day for all of that. I don’t even notice much of the time. It seems simply normal, perhaps a birthright. One Facebook friend/colleague speculated that life is less worth living when we cease to have a sense of wonder about it all. That seems like a very good step to move toward gratitude. I so often turn to Rilke for an opening into the nether world. I remembered his advice the young poet to live the questions.

I beg you, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

Rilke, Letters To A Young Poet



(Note: the photo is of a sculpture in the gardens of the O’Hanlon Center for the Arts. The sun was shining through the leaves of an old Coastal Oak and reflected in the polished center of the stone work by Dick O’Hanlon)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Duff - you knew I'd ask about the photo so you provided me the answer so I wouldn't have to "live the question." We take so much for granted, don't we? And yet, I do retain a sense of wonder, I think. How does one become as wise as Rilke? His advise is very astute. Snowed all day here but only accumulated about 6". I skied this morning into the cold, white stillness. It was "wonder" full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did put the photo info for you, Barb! The quote about "wonder" was from one of your mountain neighbors, Joan Borysenko. She is so wise in all relating to mind/body issues and mindfulness. If you don't know her work, check it out on the internet. I do know that you have that sense of wonder...it shows in the postings on your blog, your relationships and outlook on life. Good to have folks in our lives that have that sense...a reason to be thankful. As wise as Rilke? I am afraid I have missed that chance....he wrote those things in his twenties or thirties! Amazing.

      Delete
  2. I like your quotes - they are always so relevant; This one particularly - worth chewing on regularly! - great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. I wish that I could make these statements from original thought, but really glad that I find (or have found) them in my reading....which is my major addiction. :-)

      Delete
  3. Not sure how I found you, but I am glad I did. Your thoughts on gratitude resonated with me. There is always something to be grateful for. And this beautiful Universe will always send an impulse or vibration for you to tap into with your own unique frequency...we are all connected, and it's a beautiful thing! Aloha and Peace be with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet you in this odd way. So glad that you appreciate the gratitude posting. I went to your blog and I see how much you appreciate life and the world you live in. Welcome!

      Delete