Thursday, May 8, 2014

a long walk on the shore



Walking along the shore, listening to the unending and sometimes gentle pounding of the surf at low tide, breathing the constantly refreshed sea air has been a refuge for me for many years. The long thoughts that seem to be natural to the long views are comforting and help to put the highs and lows of my life in perspective. We are dealing with the second major loss in my family in one month. I am somewhat peripheral to it….physical distance and the impact of time. A long and solitary walk, nothing man-made in the view and time to absorb the chill of the air is much like my internal processing of loss and grief. I gained both awareness and comfort. But, the long walk must continue.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful view as you process loss, Duff. My walk continues, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. I know that we walk these journeys together as life progresses. Warm thoughts go out to you.

      Delete