Sunday, May 4, 2014

a neighbor with a black mask


Nature has so many aspects here in the center of San Francisco. I have been a minor bird watcher for many years and thought I knew most of the permanent residents and many of the transients. Yet, walking in the park near my home, I saw an amazing red bird with a black mask that I had never seen before. I spent a whole lot of time trying to identify it. Finally, got it…only to discover that hooded orioles are common in palm trees in our area….and the next street and the park are lined with palms...in fact, famous for them. I have lived in this area since the 60’s and had never paused to identify this beautiful little permanent resident.


The photo is not very good, taken with the lens zoomed way out and it was dusk.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it strange how we can pass by something for a very long time without noticing? Now, I'm sure your eyes will seek these beauties when you walk by the park. When I returned to Breckenridge (and snow) there was a bird I'd never seen dead on my deck. It was grey, black, and bright yellow - I'm sure I've never seen such a bird at our altitude. I still haven't identified it. Was it migrating and intercepted by a hawk? Enjoy your spring, Duff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be very interested in what species your little dead bird might be. So many that might have ventured there...a Canada Warbler? Maybe a kingbird of some species? I think it just fun having wild speculation about how a transient bird would be a such a high altitude before summer.

      Delete