Monday, May 4, 2015

at home here


Nature, even in a big city, has so many aspects. I have often driven past this corner, but had not actually walked along this sidewalk in many years. The wonderful Victorian mansion at the corner and the two almost identical houses that were built by its owner for his two daughters in the 1880’s has always been of interest. It is lushly landscaped and I had admired that. I remembered the enormous tree, but had never realized its odd form—almost like a windmill. I assume that it is New Zealand Norfolk Island Pine, but have never noticed one quite in this form. It was a joy to sit on a busy corner and think about this ancient tree, thousands of miles from its origin and absolutely “at home”. So many of us fit that description. I do feel absolutely at home here.

1 comment:

  1. That is an enormous and VERY strangely-shaped tree, Duff. We're both lucky to have found the home of our hearts. We're going to be watching the Tour of CA Bike Race on tv - I'll get my CA landscape fix.

    ReplyDelete