Thursday, October 29, 2015

democracy

Ui

The proud eagles on top of one of San Francisco's older buildings relate to what I tend to think of as a time that was simpler and perhaps more patriotic. I love the grandeur that is represented in these symbols.

Here in my City, next week we will vote on which leaders will take us as a community through the next couple of years. We have a long ballot with 11 propositions to consider, several of major importance to how we will live and who we will be as a people. Friends and neighbors are actually talking about the implications in community forums and one-to-one. I believe we "talk" because we are seeing impressive results of past measures in upgrading parks, transit and support for children. Now, as a community we are focused on housing affordability and coping with the changes brought by thousands of new folks who have chosen to share this exceptional place. And, we can change.

But, just as on the national level, much of our local media is focused on sensational personal attacks, searching for scandal and thereby debasing the process. I am thankful that our place is still small enough that we can gather to talk, to act and to change. For me, that is responsible democracy--making considered choices. 

1 comment:

  1. Our small town has seen an influx of not only visitors but residents over the past 15 years. Bob and I sometimes think nostalgically about "the good old days" when there were fewer people and, therefore, it seems fewer problems. Resort jobs mostly pay minimum wage and housing prices both to rent and buy are not affordable for many people. I know your city prices are also sky-high to own or rent because even when our son lived there and had a professional job, he could barely make ends meet (and he lived in some pretty scuzzy places). There is also an interesting phenomena in our county of more second home owners who now rent their houses to tourists through VRBO rather than to long-term renters who are employed here. People are starting to rent couches when they can't find better living accommodations. Even just having a couch on which to crash costs about $500 a month. Voters in our town and county approved low-income housing developments both in this ballot year and in several previous election years. However, housing and childcare still remain issues. Don't even get me started on the media - or on politicians, actually! Also, glad I gave you a chuckle. I am also amazed and amused that I recklessly took on this writing challenge. You notice how much I've written here - I'm procrastinating! I wonder if I could use this comment as part of my word count for today? Enjoy the city, Duff, as I am enjoying the mountains.

    ReplyDelete