Friday, April 5, 2013

to live, not exist



 
 Despite my best intentions to not let age and aging impact my zest for life, somehow a birthday (yes, it is one of those days) brings a dreary and more serious contemplation of who I am and where I have yet to go. I appreciate reflection, but do not want to get mired in what could have been, or even more destructive, what should have been. I am using this wonderful quote from Jack London to spur me into a truly positive space today.

“I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”


Second photo is that brilliant blaze....in opposition 
to the contemplative, dreary grey man. I used this photo
once before here...on another contemplative day.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you must celebrate, for sure, and not look back too much. (Or forward for that matter!) Happy, happy day Duff! Mine is coming up soon too - I always think another birthday is better than the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barb...an early present to you is your returning health...makes me very happy. And, the alternative to a birthday...well, not quite prepared to deal with that now!!

    ReplyDelete