Tuesday, May 21, 2013

it is worth a lot



A new butterfly/moth (?) visited my meadow sage today. I simply could not identify it in my butterfly book or online. But, it is such a pleasure to have wildlife of some sort on my cement-encrusted back garden…makes life in the City seem more natural. And, it was just nice to observe.
























No picture of this, but walking back from the store/library this afternoon, three young boys (6 or 7 years old) came racing by…one on a skateboard and his two friends cavorting, pushing and all of three nearly done in with laughter. And, most of the people on the street were completely into the joy…lots of smiles and nods from the stodgy old folks (anything over 20). When the kids stopped, I noticed that one was pressing a Kleenex to his cheek. A bit bloody. His friend said “where is your tooth?” “In my pocket…not going to lose that! It is worth a lot.”

Lesson: taking in stride the loss of a baby tooth and just having fun with your friends is not an occasion for being upset.  And, besides, “it is worth a lot”.

4 comments:

  1. oooh what a lovely moth/butterfly? (difference?)
    and such a nice resting place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found a Library of Congress site that helped about difference between the two. This appears to be a butterfly due to the antennae and how it holds its wings. Now to identify the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a wonderful (and fitting) anecdote. Nature/youth in all its glory. I love the Mission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely get butterflies at altitude. If I see one, I'm mesmerized. Kids who would normally howl at he sight of blood are happy to shed a few drops for the Tooth Fairy. VivId photo!

    ReplyDelete