Sunday, May 5, 2013

sunday in the park

I thought of Seurat when I saw the crowd on the hillside at Dolores Park celebrating Cinco de Mayo. And, the mural is on a deli at the end of my block and on the way to the park. It seems so wonderful to me that a painting from 1866 would influence how I saw the crowd today....and, of course, the muralist had a similar thought when he used the pointillism to create a tableau of local folks enjoying a day in the sun. Was I influenced by Seurat or by the mural I walk by every day?

(The mural is just down the block from the red brick church the artist placed on the edge of the park.)



3 comments:

  1. …"Saturday in the park with DUff"

    ...for a new generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, I forgot it was Cinco de Mayo! Your connection of the mural, the painting, and the crowd at today's festivities is pretty amazing. I often can't even remember what day of the week it is! Enjoy your unseasonable warmth, Duff. We'll return to snowy Breckenridge soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that on the 5th you said you were returning to snowy Breckenridge...you did and, wow, what a snowstorm. I remember snow on the upper Fryingpan River on the weekend of the 4th of July one year...that is our beloved Colorado!

    ReplyDelete