Sunday, May 12, 2013

sunsets

I have been slowly trying to find a way to have a Mother's Day memory that was not about the sentimental moments with my Mom. She has been gone for many years and the memories are dusted with sentiment and maybe even turned sepia with age. One thing she so loved was the sunset. In her years of living on Maui, I knew better than to call for our weekly visit until the sun had set over the Pacific. It is a sweet memory. One of her favorite hymns was Sunset and Evening Star, the poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Just a nice memory to close out the day.


Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.


4 comments:

  1. I enlarged the photo to see if I could recognize where you took it. (I can't.) That poem touches my English Major memory. I fly today to the (hot) desert. If you go to watch the bike race next Sunday, look for two extra-tall men (twins) along with a gray-haired man - my sons and husband! They may rent bikes and watch the racers cross the Golden Gate. They're also watching the stage near Pleasantville on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lot's of tv coverage of the race. Sunday is also the Bay to Breakers race. I think I live in a circus sometimes. :-). The photo is looking northwest from Noe Hill above the Castro area in SF.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh - you took off word ID - thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 0ne of my favorite poems- but I'd forgotten most of the words -

    and, as you know,- one of my favorite times as well hurray for both!

    ReplyDelete