Sunday, August 18, 2013

barriers exist



Various barriers to free expression and privacy have been much in the news, but those barriers often do not apply to me in my every day world. However, barriers exist.

I am truly struggling in a new phase of my poetry to explore some difficult times in my life. Those times are an essential, but mostly an unexpressed part of who I am today. It seems imperative to bring those times openly into my creative process.


But, I have become so aware of my barriers to writing honestly, and even to remembering. The barriers once seemed, or were, essential for self protection in society, relationships, work and ultimately my own self image. Because of change and aging, they are no longer relevant. The question today seems to be, can I remove these fences that block my reach? 

Are they unmovable or a matter of changing perspective?


4 comments:

  1. They are your barriers, so you can pull them down, Duff. However, I think that is more easily said than done. When something has been hidden a long time, it often doesn't want the strong light of day. Perhaps just a peek first - like in the second photo. I am always mindful of family in what I reveal - honesty has its limits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barb. This has been a long time in coming to light. Just trying to make it part of my creative life...not therapy any more. I don't think the issues are of such a nature that revealing them will cross limits. But, I certainly appreciate that awareness...and the need to hold it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the enduring questions, I think. I do hope that age renders them less daunting. I'm counting on it (and on you to lead the way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. the hand on the brow seems particularly relevant, (Omigod how did I ever get into this - or get out of it?)
    Courage! We're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete