Sunday, August 11, 2013

the humility of sound



Stairs have been so widely written about that I won’t venture to go there. Using the metaphor of the staircase for life’s journey, the spiritual path or even about education has been over-used. But, the blue at night of this particular stairway…which no longer goes anywhere…reminded me of a poem that I do love. (much abbreviated here)

The Blue Stairs
     by Barbara Guest

There is no fear
in taking the first step
or the second or the third

In fact the top can be reached
without disaster

precocious

The code consists in noticing
the particular shade of the staircase
occasionally giving way to the emotions

It has been chosen discriminately

*  *  *  *

It has discovered
in the creak of a footstep

the humility of sound 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Duff, I have a "thing" for stairs apart from symbolism - can't explain why - the more ordinary, the better. A few years ago, I photographed a long flight of cement stairs in San Fran that had an aerosol can half way up. In the photo, the can looks like a small vase of roses (or in my imagination, it does). It's such an ordinary photo, but one of my favorites. The stair poem goes much deeper than I have imagined, and I like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to see your photo...but, even without it, I can certainly imagine the long stairs....we do have a lot of them. But, most importantly what your imagination brings to the scene. I often feel that few see what I saw in the photo. And, you know what? That is ok. We all bring ourselves to it.

    ReplyDelete