Sunday, August 4, 2013

merely might have happened


It was one of those unplanned excavations into the back of a closet that caused me to think so much about events from long ago (the 60’s) and how I I remember it now. This photo certainly doesn’t look like the “me” that most people know, yet I somehow don’t think of the years as having quite the external change that has occurred. I love this quote:

I always had trouble distinguishing between what happened and what merely might have happened, but I remain unconvinced that the distinction, for my purposes, matters.

Joan Didion,

Slouching Towards Bethlehem

6 comments:

  1. i can so see you in this photo, dear duff, and yeah, i am experiencing similar things...every once in a while i catch myself in the mirror and realize i am no longer that lithe hippie with the mid-back-length blonde hair and the big eyes...but on the inside i still feel her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not have picked you out of a line-up, Duff. But you looked like a dreamer and a poet, for sure.

    ReplyDelete