Sunday, September 15, 2013

circular nature of nature



This morning I had several reminders of the joy of the changing seasons. 

A flutter outside my kitchen window focused my sleepy eyes on a small flock of birds feasting on the seeds of a drying garden a few properties to the north. Finally, able to identify them as juncos…all the dates for arrival in my bird book have been in late October or November. Not sure the significance of this….perhaps an early and harsh winter?


Later, puttering in my little garden area, I saw a butterfly on a salvia…same type butterfly in the Spring on a meadow sage. (I posted it here at the time...they look almost identical). 

Just a gracious and happy reminder of the circular nature of nature.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Duff, I've heard that the almanac (do you believe in it?) says our winter here in CO is going to be harsh. I believe in anything that portends snow. But now - only rain and lots of it. I grow salvia, too. It was late this summer and now it's so sodden, I think it will soon give up on the growth cycle. Aspens are changing and the forest floor is turning rust and gold. Nature's circle of life - seed to flower to seed again. PS My journals may be gone but your pits still give me hope. They don't tell secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The secret of my pits is "why on earth would this man do this?"...probably tells as much as a diary. :-) I love that wet smell in the forest...and to see the first aspens turning...truly the circle of life. It is so much different here on the coast...but, it is a circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful title - circular nature of nature.
    Simple wonders of nature.
    First time here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. And welcome to my blog....don't post a lot...just try to make sure I have something every week. It all started with a thing called Small Stones...a daily mindfulness exercise for the month of January 2012. Have "met" some great folks here. Welcome.

      Delete