Sunday, June 22, 2014

like the belt


Yesterday, I started to put my belt into my newly-washed Levi’s. As I have for my entire life, I threaded the belt into the first loop on the left side of the jeans. Suddenly, I realized that the belt, and probably dozens of belts before this one, could just as easily have been threaded through the right side. It simply had never occurred to me that there was a choice. It started a cascade of thinking about choices that are never made in life. Something seems to work and I go with it without even realizing there are options. I know the belt issue is silly, but how I view other important aspects of life, faith, history, politics and relationships are often like the belt.---un-examined and not questioned.

3 comments:

  1. oh, I like it- very original and evocative ...
    -and the picture ..great glimpse , and great thought

    you're getting good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very right/left brain type of moment. We fall into habits but are better off if we sometimes vary our approach (I believe). Sometimes, this means just going the opposite direction on the trail and sometimes it means holding the toothbrush in the "other" hand. Good for our brains - and our characters! (Perhaps allowing us to view/do "bigger things in Life a different way?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will try the toothbrush thing tonight, Barb. But, I am sure that I will have toothpaste all over my face. I am truly right handed. Let's see what that does for my character....I will be careful with my choice of words at that moment.

    Thanks, Joan, for you encouragement. After a couple of years of this blogging business, I sometimes get it right.

    ReplyDelete