Thursday, June 26, 2014

a second butterfly moment


Several years ago, on a warm summer day a magnificent painted lady butterfly landed on my arm. It was one of the most amazing moments of interaction with nature that I have ever experienced. We, the butterfly and me, stood silently interacting for long moments and then the painted lady moved on. This morning, sitting in my garden enjoying the soft fog-littered breeze, a Monarch landed on my arm and seemed to be observing me. It then moved to a flower, its more normal site. The photo is terribly out of focus, but so glad to have it. The poem is from the previous encounter.

When a painted lady touched my arm


Vanessa Cardui.  Hina,
messenger of truth.

Wings in symmetrical mandala:
symbol and man in a gyred dance.

You migrate from a somewhere:
on a code,
a portent, a command?

Unsure passing:
as real as death, certain as life—
signaling the intricate contingencies of love.

Oh, butterfly. Be not the trickster. 
Be the painted lady who touched my arm.

2 comments:

  1. Any time I SEE a butterfly let alone have it interact with me is very fine indeed! Your poem makes me think - intricate meetings of the best kind. I had a Monarch land on my hand once - a silent communication which I still remember. Before my mother's coffin was lowered, a large Monarch landed on the top and slowly fanned its wings. It was still there when I walked away. Hope you're doing well and enjoying your summer, Duff - as I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad we share that interaction with a butterfly. What an amazing moment at your mother's graveside. Simply beautiful! Summer is here some days, gone on others...typical San Francisco. Fortunately, I enjoy that. So, glad to hear from you. Went to your blog yesterday, knowing that you are taking a break, but just wanted to have that little connection.

      Delete