Sunday, June 8, 2014

summer in the city



It was just a normal, crazy summer Sunday in San Francisco. Today was the Haight Street Fair and the aura, and the aromas, were straight out of the 60’s. Most of the folks had not been born in that era, but the medical tent was staffed by folks who had been around a long time! It was a bit down memory lane, except for a young folk group attempting “The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down”. I am sure they had no idea that it was sung by Joan Baez a couple of blocks down in Golden Gate Park…a classic rendition. The line for Destiny Reading was huge. There were probably 10 tables with “readers” and dozens of people waiting to find out the future. Wish I could have done that….well, maybe not today, but it would have been helpful in 1968. I could not resist taking a picture of the "no pictures" Stylish Hat booth. Probably the only rule I broke today.


On the light rail coming home within hearing distance of where I sat you could determine 5 languages….Spanish, Vietnamese, French, German and another lilting Slavic that I did not recognize. Not one word of English. I simply loved every minute! What a day.

3 comments:

  1. Hot fun in the summertime...(well almost summertime)! I absolutely love San Francisco! Been a very long time since I lived there. Thanks for the memories! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Duff, I have good memories of biking through Haight on our rides around the city. (Haven't done it for a few years, but I always enjoy the sights.) Joan Baez is putting on a concert for Denver Botanic this summer. Unfortunately, we can't attend.

    ReplyDelete