Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Small Stone: January 16, 2013



Twice this week I have seen young men
and women joyfully greeting older folks on the bus.
Moments of recognition. Truly respectful, happy and
inter-generational moments. All of the young people
and their elders were Latino.

I often sense community, as I walk or ride
in the Mission district. The lilt of Spanish, the warmth
of a smile. The loving interaction of parents and small
children. A real lesson in what our culture gains
by immigration.




The photo is of a California poppy--a native flower. 
Just seemed to fit for this post.

4 comments:

  1. I like that "sense of community." My son spent time in the Mission when he worked and lived in San Fran, but ended up renting places in center-city so he could sometimes bike to work. When visiting, we often walked the Mission District because we liked the vibe there and the restaurants. I have seen great swaths of those poppies in the spring, especially along the American River in Sacramento - such a cheerful little wildflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. I really do love the sense of community...and, as a non-Latino, I don't usually feel excluded.

      Delete
  2. Love the ironic choice of flower. Wonderful. A vibrant, loving culture. One of the most so I've encountered anywhere (along with the Thais).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. The poppy was both ironic and symbolic. Just had to do it. ;-)

      Delete