Thursday, January 3, 2013

Small Stone: January 3, 2003



Neighbor’s trash barrels overflowing.
In my own life, so much excess, not just trash ─ possessions
and food and clothes and entertainment and technology.
 















As I went around the corner,
I realized that the sad young man I see, sometimes speak with,
occasionally give a few dollars, has been away from his doorways
for some days. How many? In the excess of my life I have not noticed.

He had gone from thin to emaciated in recent weeks,
pulling even tighter into his mostly silent world on the street.

A crumpled bill or a few coins, even a few moments of concern
won’t solve his problems. But, in the incredible excess of my life
and the lives of folks all around me, can’t we find a way to make
it more equitable? Or, at least be aware?

3 comments:

  1. So many people on the fringe. You're right about excess - mine, too. I try to simplify, but the culture seems to demand "more." I often wonder about the street people - their lives and if there is any one left who cares about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo is so emblematic. A kind observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these "stones are all so meaningful and relevant..
    I'm so glad you are playing this 'game'.
    I hope it does as much for you as tit does for your audiences!

    ReplyDelete