Monday, January 28, 2013

Small Stone: January 28, 2013



Today: I saw a lovely child exploring her world out the bus window. It made me think of the excitement of discovery. I saw a gorgeous young couple. It made me aware of youthful vitality. I saw a fast-striding businessman and I connected with the thrill of success. I saw a white-haired woman carefully choosing oranges and thought of how age allows us to be selective.

Sweet child. Sexy youth. Successful exec. Serenity in aging.

Do any of those have anything to do with the individual at that particular moment? What was their actual experience? Even close to my immediate perception?

As I reflect on the day, I am aware that all of those observations were tinged with a judgment on my part, not wholly in the moment and formed somewhere in my past.




The photo is a first leaf daring to break out of winter against a south-facing wall around the corner.

4 comments:

  1. It really is impossible not to judge. We interpret everything that happens through the filter of individual experience. The green of that little leaf is (in my opinion) very hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. I love "through the filter of individual experience". Gets rid of that negative that I threw in there about judging. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh... the Self. What to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. But, some days I think the Self is just fine....other days, not so much. :-)

      Delete