Saturday, January 18, 2014

Small Stone: January 18, 2014


The artist gives us a Madonna and child figure, but perhaps in a burqa? An anti-war statement with the halo framed with “no war”. And, a tear in the eye of the Madonna figure. This message meant so much to the artist that she has attached this large painting to the front of her house for all to consider. Very powerful and enigmatic. Still dealing with the enigma, but thinking of what issues would prompt me to make such a public statement. It would not have been a question in my youth!

6 comments:

  1. a potent piece - packs a punch…!
    Is that near you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was very powerful, too. No, it is just down the hill from Bernie & Heidi's house where we all had brunch today. Heidi knows the artist and has taken suggestions from her for their garden. Heidi did not comment on the art, however, when I mentioned it.

      Delete
  2. Wow...I'm not sure what to think. It's an interesting piece of work, powerfully stated. "Enigmatic" is a good word to describe it. My eyes are also drawn to the upper right, to what looks like a a dark specter over the image of a cross - perhaps a christian cross? That in itself speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that there is a lot of religious symbolism here...and a statement of the artist's intent.

      Delete
  3. My eye also immediately went to the cross. Also, is that an olive branch? I would stand and study this piece in a museum, but I think I'm glad my next door neighbor isn't displaying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not identify the olive branch...I think that is absolutely what that is. Also, the white object near the bottom sort of looks like a shepherd's crook--also carried by a bishop. Lots of significant items here. Thanks for catching the olive branch!

      Delete