Friday, January 3, 2014

Small Stone: January 3, 2014




The process of turning gold from a friend’s orange tree in Sonoma into marmalade had a couple of big issues today. First of all, they brought two huge paint buckets full of oranges…after 6 small batches we had about 40 jars and still one bucket full …the photo is what is remaining. A LOT of work, but a lot of fun, too. We laughed and fussed and it was a great day of friends cooperating on a “sweet” project. Sadly, the last batch was on the burner nearly too long…the old Belgian cast iron pot now has a serious patch of burned sugar that is soaking. Most of the jars will be gifts of California “gold” to friends and acquaintances over the next months. A significant portion will be on my toast these winter mornings!

4 comments:

  1. wow = you'd better get that stall set up outside…and how about a little orangeade on the side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I could re-create on of those giant oranges that were along the California highways when I was a child. Might be a new fortune to be made. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, if only I lived closer! My favorite. I've never tried to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to make. In fact, there is a recipe on the internet for using just one orange in the food processor to make a refrigerator version of marmalade. Once all of these are gone...I would love to share one with you....well, I might consider the one-orange version.

      Delete