Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Small Stone: January 22, 2014




So often people write or talk about urban isolation and separateness. I find a lot of smiles and interactions on the street, in shops and in nature, as it appears in my City. We have a small phenomenon of parklets in San Francisco. A business or resident takes over a parking space and makes a public park space for all to enjoy. That seems to me the antithesis of separate. The photos above are from a delightful parklet in front of a Victorian home on a busy nearby street. It is fun, it is bright and it is friendly. Here is a link: http://deeplet.org/

2 comments:

  1. How lovely a concept in action. I'd love this, especially the music, so up close and personal. I don't know how anyone could feel isolated in their cities with parklets in them. It inspires community. I hope this phenomenon catches on and spreads across the country. Thank for posting the link to deeplet.org.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this Duff! Tiny green spaces for all to enjoy. I love when urban areas support natural settings where people can relax, enjoy plant life, and even music. A bit of quiet amid the hubbub!

    ReplyDelete