Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Small Stone: January 21, 2014


A local bookstore has a street display of used books…bins for perusing and inspiration. One of them today was filled with children’s books. I was taken decades back  to the time when I was given the incredible gift of reading. Reading was always central in our house. Well, that and programs on the big Philco radio. But, every day there were books and magazines and time for reading. I am filled with gratitude each time I see a child literally immersed in a story in a book. 

2 comments:

  1. I too am grateful that reading was encouraged in the household I grew up in. I like how seeing the display of used children's books triggered your early reading memories and inspired your gratefulness for that gift. I also love to see children reading rather that glued to a television set. Reading truly is a gift that keep on giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think reading literally saved me when I was young. Now, I see my grandchildren reading and my heart is very glad. Books are entertainment, enlightenment, escape, and therapy.

    ReplyDelete